Thursday, March 5, 2009

Tip 23: The Comma Debate

Except in sentences where there are only two items (e.g I eat fruit and vegetables), I have always assumed that a comma is obligatory before "and", as in:

1) She ate an apple, two pears, and a bunch of grapes.
2) I take fish, beef, and mutton.
3) The flood last week devastated the whole village, and many people were left homeless.

However, yesterday Jerrie’s English teacher taught them that comma is only necessary in cases where confusion is likely to happen. Thus, no comma is required in:

- I take fish, beef and mutton.
- I have red, pink and blue pencils.

And a comma is recommended in:
- I like a drink, an egg, and a ham and cheese sandwich.
- The restaurant served fish and chips, bacon and egg, and carrot and mushroom soup.

No comments: